A New Brunswick Mountie says he felt betrayed and sickened by RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson’s testimony in Moncton, N.B., last week about protecting the lives of officers.
”It was a complete disregard to the members, and an insult to the members who gave their lives, who put their lives in danger,” said Cpl. Patrick Bouchard.
The RCMP has been on trial in Moncton, accused of failing to keep officers safe June 4, 2014, when a gunman killed three Mounties and wounded two others.
Testimony wrapped up last week, with Paulson as the defence’s star witness.
Throughout the trial, officers who responded to the shootings testified high-powered carbine rifles — which were at the centre of the proceedings — would have helped take down heavily armed gunman Justin Bourque.
But Paulson quickly dismissed those thoughts during his testimony last Thursday, saying carbines would have made no difference that night.
Bouchard called that “a slap in the face.”
During the trial, more than a dozen RCMP members approached CBC News to express frustrations with the force and its leadership. All wanted to remain anonymous, however, for fear of consequences.
Bouchard, who was a friend of fallen officers Fabrice Gevaudan, Dave Ross and Doug Larche, and lent a hand the night of the shootings, said he has suffered a lot of pent-up anger and grief.
After Paulson’s testimony, he just couldn’t hold it in anymore, he said.
Bouchard sent a letter to Paulson, who is retiring from the force at the end of the month after almost 40 years of service, including five as the top Mountie.
The corporal shared the letter on his Facebook page and on a private page for RCMP members.
His anger is…