WASHINGTON (AP) — The Latest on the United States and Venezuela (all times EDT):
The White House says it has rejected a request from Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro to speak by phone with President Donald Trump.
A statement released late Friday by the White House press secretary says, “Trump will gladly speak with the leader of Venezuela as soon as democracy is restored in that country.”
Trump said earlier Friday that he wouldn’t rule out military action against Venezuela in response to the country’s descent into political chaos following Maduro’s power grab.
In rejecting Maduro’s request to talk, The White House says: “Trump has asked that Maduro respect Venezuela’s constitution, hold free and fair elections, release political prisoners, cease all human rights violations, and stop oppressing Venezuela’s great people. … Instead Maduro has chosen the path of dictatorship.”
Venezuela’s Defense Minister is calling President Donald Trump’s talk of a military intervention an act of “craziness” and “supreme extremism.”
Gen. Vladimir Padrino says, “With this extremist elite that’s in charge in the U.S., who knows what will happen to the world?” Padrino is a close ally of President Nicolas Maduro.
His remarks are the first by a high-level Venezuelan official and come ahead of an expected statement by Maduro’s government.
Vice President Mike Pence is heading to Latin America Sunday amid deepening alarm over Venezuela’s descent into political chaos and threats of a military response by President Donald Trump.
Pence’s six-day, four-country tour will include stops in Cartagena, Colombia; Buenos Aires, Argentina; Santiago, Chile; and Panama City.
The vice president is expected to meet with each country’s leaders, deliver a major speech on U.S.-Latin American relations and tour the newly-expanded Panama Canal.
He’s also expected to share concerns about the collapse of democracy in Venezuela and discuss trade and economic relations.
The Trump administration has issued a series of sanctions against more than two dozen current and former Venezuelan officials, including President Nicolas Maduro.
Trump said Friday that he wouldn’t rule out a “military option” in response to the crisis.
President Donald Trump’s threat of a “military option” in Venezuela seems to contradict the advice of his top national security adviser.
Gen. H.R. McMaster said last week he didn’t want to give President Nicolas Maduro any ammunition to blame the “Yankees” for…