White House calls Depp’s assassination remarks about Trump ‘sad’

Hours after actor Johnny Depp made controversial comments about President Donald Trump, the White House issued a statement condemning anyone who makes threatening remarks about the commander-in-chief.

“President Trump has condemned violence in all forms and it’s sad that others like Johnny Depp have not followed his lead,” the White House statement read. “I hope that some of Mr. Depp’s colleagues will speak out against this type of rhetoric as strongly as they would if his comments were directed to a Democrat elected official.”

Depp came under fire for bringing up Trump on Thursday evening. While introducing his new film, “The Libertine,” at England’s Glastonbury Festival, he told the crowd that Trump “needs help.”

“When was the last time an actor assassinated a president?” he continued. “I want to clarify: I’m not an actor. I lie for a living, however, it’s been a while. Maybe it’s about time.”

Depp did not say whether he was referring to the assassination of President Lincoln by actor John Wilkes Booth in 1865.

In addition to the White House, the Secret Service issued its own statement.

“We actively monitor open source reporting, including social media networks, and we evaluate potential threats. For security reasons, we cannot discuss specifically nor in general terms the means and methods of how we perform our protective responsibilities,” the Secret Service told ABC News.

Depp’s publicist has not responded to ABC News’ request for comment on the actor’s remarks.

Depp isn’t the first public figure to come under fire for making questionable statements about Trump. Last month, comedian Kathy Griffin was featured in a video holding a decapitated likeness of Donald Trump’s head. Griffin later apologized but said she remains under investigation from the Secret Service.

Read the full article from the Source…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *