We don’t want a fight, don’t start one

UNITED NATIONS (AP) — The U.S. ambassador to the United Nations had a message for North Korea on Wednesday: “We’re not trying to pick a fight so don’t try and give us one.”

“The ball is in their court,” Ambassador Nikki Haley told reporters. “They shouldn’t try and play at this point.”

Haley’s comments followed President Donald Trump’s recent statement that the U.S. wants peace — and that how much North Korean ruler Kim Jong Un also wants peace will be a deciding factor in easing tensions between the two countries.

Trump has been pressuring China, North Korea’s main benefactor, to help defuse the situation over North Korea’s development of atomic weapons and long-range missiles but he has also warned that the U.S. will settle the issue alone if other countries won’t help.

U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres told reporters the United Nations fully backs efforts of all states trying to ensure “that North Korea doesn’t acquire the capacities that would become a threat, not only for the region but in a wider area of the world.”

Tensions have escalated over North Korean moves to accelerate its arms programs, including developing an intercontinental ballistic missile that could reach the United States.

The North conducted two nuclear bomb tests and 24 ballistic missile tests last year, defying six Security Council sanctions resolutions banning any testing, and it has conducted additional missile tests this year, including one on Saturday that failed. Developing a hydrogen bomb is also a declared priority of North Korea, officially the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea or DPRK.

Guterres singled out the countries “in the front line” of contacts with North Korea — the U.S., China, South Korea, Russia and Japan — and said everybody involved should “make sure that everything is done for the threat represented by the development in relation to missiles and in relation to the potential for nuclear capability not to become a threat to the international community.”

North Korea, however, withdrew from the six-party talks aimed at the denuclearization of the Korean peninsula in 2009 and has shown no interest in returning.

Haley, the current president of the U.N. Security Council, said members were working on a statement condemning the latest failed missile launch.

Diplomats said the U.S.-drafted statement would strongly condemn the launch and express the council’s “utmost concern” at North Korea’s “highly destabilizing behavior and flagrant and provocative defiance” of council resolutions. It would also demand an immediate end to the North’s nuclear and missile tests, threaten to take “further significant measures” — U.N. code for new sanctions — and state that North Korea’s illegal activities “are greatly increasing tension in the region and beyond.”

The diplomats, who agreed to discuss the statement only on condition of anonymity because consultations have been private, said China had signed off on it. But they said Russia objected because a…

Read the full article from the Source…

Leave a Reply