Trump blasts verdict in San Francisco pier shooting of Kate Steinle by undocumented immigrant

President Donald Trump lashed out Thursday night at a not guilty ruling in a murder trial he had used to argue against illegal immigration.

Interested in Donald Trump?

Add Donald Trump as an interest to stay up to date on the latest Donald Trump news, video, and analysis from ABC News.

Jose Ines Garcia Zarate, an undocumented immigrant, was found not guilty of first-degree murder, second-degree murder and manslaughter. He was convicted on a lesser charge of being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Garcia Zarate admitted to shooting Kate Steinle on a San Francisco pier in 2015, but said he had picked up the gun, wrapped in a T-shirt under a bench, and it accidentally went off, according to The Associated Press. The prosecution argued he carelessly handled the weapon, which the Bureau of Land Management previously said was stolen from an agent’s vehicle.

Trump repeatedly referred to the shooting on the campaign trail in 2015 and 2016 as an argument for building a border wall between the United States and Mexico and becoming tougher on illegal immigration. Garcia Zarate had been deported to his native Mexico previously multiple times and had just gotten out of jail after a drug charge was dismissed.

San Francisco is a so-called sanctuary city and does not notify Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) when an undocumented immigrant is detained.

The president took to Twitter shortly after the Thursday verdict to condemn the ruling.

He followed that up eight hours later with two more tweets calling the jury decision a “complete travesty of justice” and blaming policy of his predecessor Barack Obama, as well as Democratic Sen. Chuck Schumer and and Rep. Nancy Pelosi.

Trump’s condemnation of the shooting goes back to the beginning of his…

Read the full article from the Source…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *