Many boats require boat covers. These help keep out dammaging weather, and help to protect the boat. It is very important that you choose the right cover for your boat. This way you will receive maximum protection from the elements. Boats that are not protected adequately end up costing mor to maintain, as weathering takes its toll.Here are some of the most important things to look out for when you are buying a boat cover.
1. Can your boat cover breath properly? To avoid any mildew or mould the boat cover must be able to breath adequately, not trapping any moisture in your boat. It is easy to check for this, just look for signs of moisture in your boat under the cover.
2. Does the cover fit to the boats waterline? If it is, it it will not grip to the boat tightly enough to stop moisture from creeping underneath it . The cover should reach to about 20 inches above the waterline, and of course hug the boat tightly all the way round.
3. Is the cover form fitting? The cover should fit the profile of your boat to make sure that it is properly weatherproof. Any gaps will again let in moisture. It is worth while taking measurements of the boat so you know what size you will need to cover. You will then be prepared properly when you are buying the boat cover, and will get one big enough to fit tightly round the shape of your boat.
4. Is the boat cover reinforced at the stress points? You want the cover to be strong enough where it is tied, to withstand any stresses as the boat moves on the water. You wouldn’t want it to tear as this would reduce its ability to protect the boat.
It is very easy to buy cheap covers that do not offer the right protection for your boat, and you will notice that when you wish to use it to fish , or holiday with, that weathering is dammaging both boat and cover. I have some tips, below, that will help to increase the lifetime of your boat cover, allowing it to protect your boat for longer.
1. Make sure the cover is clear of leaves and water as often as possible. Dont let either sit on top of your cover if you can help it.
2. Make sure that you tie your boat cover securely. You don’t want the wind whisking it away.
3. Make sure that your boat cover drys thoroughly before you fold it up and put it away for storage.
The above tips should help lengthen the lifespan of your boat cover, meaning it will not have to be replaces as often, and will protect your boat for many years, saving you money on boat maintenance as well. Saving money…