The Latest: Chicago to ask judge to halt to Trump policy

The Latest on a lawsuit filed by the city of Chicago challenging federal immigration policy (all times local):

11:40 a.m.

The head of Chicago’s legal office says the city will follow up on a newly filed lawsuit with a request to a federal judge to halt to a Trump administration immigration policy of withholding certain public safety grants from so-called sanctuary cities.

Edward Siskel spoke to reporters Monday at U.S. District Court in Chicago just after the 46-page suit was filed.

The request for a preliminary injunction could happen within days. If a judge grants it, it could put a freeze on the policy at least until the civil case plays out.

Siskel says Chicago had to take a stand because of what he called “the rhetoric and the threats” from the Trump administration to yank funds from cities that don’t adhere to its immigration priorities. He says it was “breeding a culture and a climate of fear.”

10:50 a.m.

The city of Chicago has filed a federal lawsuit challenging a Trump administration immigration stance, alleging it’s illegal for the government to withhold public safety grants from so-called sanctuary cities.

The 46-page lawsuit filed Monday says that “neither federal law nor the United States Constitution permits the Attorney General to force Chicago to abandon… critical local policy” on immigrants.

Chicago has been a sanctuary city for decades where city employees aren’t allowed to ask about immigration status.

Chicago officials say there are new qualifications for a federal public safety grant requiring cities to share information with federal immigration authorities, which they allege are unconstitutional.

Chicago received over $2 million in such grants last year, which have been used for buying police vehicles and other things.

————

Mayor Rahm Emanuel says Chicago will continue fighting President Donald Trump’s immigration policies with a lawsuit alleging it’s illegal for the government to withhold public safety grants from so-called sanctuary cities.

The federal lawsuit is expected to be filed Monday. A day earlier Emanuel said Chicago won’t “be blackmailed” into changing its values as a welcoming city.

Chicago officials say there are new qualifications for a grant requiring cities to share information with federal immigration authorities, which they allege are unconstitutional.

Chicago received over $2 million in such grants last year, which have been used for buying police vehicles.

Two law firms are…

Read the full article from the Source…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *