Born in upstate New York, Kevin Adey started his food career in Florida, before joining the kitchen team at one of the world’s most acclaimed restaurants, seafood mecca Le Bernardin.
Later, he headed to the borough of Brooklyn as executive chef of Northeast Kingdom.
Then in 2015, he and his wife opened Faro in Bushwick, focusing on house-made pastas, and an enlightened approach to ingredients including organic produce, sustainable sourcing and whole grains. A comfortable local place, it still earned notice winning a coveted Michelin star a year after opening.
In September he’ll open General Debs specializing in spicy Sichuan noodles.
Here are some of Adey’s signature recipes:
Scarpinocc with pork and fennel ragu
1 quart high quality ground pork
2 oz ground cured pork- prosciutto or pancetta
1 quart small diced Spanish onion
1 pint sofrito: carrot, celery fennel, equal parts pulsed in robot coupe till its super small or micro-planed with 1 calabrian chili and 6 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon each toasted and ground black pepper, coriander, and fennel seeds
1 cup white wine
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup tomato paste
2 oz each chopped parsley, basil, chives
2 cloves sliced garlic
2 sliced shallots
1 cup sliced baby fennel
3 oz cream
2 oz butter
1. In a large rondeau add a good amount of olive oil and heat add in pancetta and ground pork spread it out and brown properly, remove from pan
2. Drain off most of the pork fat and add in a good amount of olive oil. Add in sofrito and cook slowly until it starts to caramelize, add in diced onion and ground spices and cook slowly until it starts to lightly brown.
3. Add in tomato paste and cook a bit. Add in the browned pork and stir to combine. Deglaze with the wine and reduce by 1/2 add in stock season a bit with salt add in the chopped herbs stir and cover with the cartouche.
4. Place in a 325-degree oven for an hour and a half
5. Re-season and chill properly. this is more ragu than you will need
6. For pick up: sweat the 2 cloves garlic, shallots and fennel, add in some ragu and heat, add in a bit of pasta water the cream, pasta and mount with butter and finish with a toss of the reserved fresh herbs season taste and plate
Marinated tomatoes with avocado puree
brunoise 1 red onion
Good extra virgin olive oil
Good aged sherry vinegar
Juice of 2 lemons