British counterterror police have arrested a teenage boy and two more men in connection with last week’s terror attack on the London Underground subway system — bringing the total number in custody up to six people — and are conducting a series of searches, including one at a “halfway house” for refugees.
The Metropolitan Police announced early Thursday that a 17-year-old was arrested under the Terrorism Act in the Thornton Heath district of South London. On Wednesday, detectives arrested a 48-year-old man and a 30-year-old man in the Welsh city of Newport, where a 25-year-old man was also arrested Tuesday.
Cmdr. Dean Haydon of the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command, said investigators were searching five addresses — two in Newport, one in Thornton Heath, and two in the suburban county of Surrey
“We anticipate that the searches will take some days to complete and may cause further disruption,” Haydon said. “However, it is important that we continue with these searches and I’d like to thank all those affected for their support, patience and cooperation.”
Neighbors told Sky News the two men arrested in Newport early Wednesday lived in a “halfway house” for asylum seekers.
“The people that live there don’t come from around here,” a local businessman told Sky. “I don’t think they’ve been there for…