Spice Girl Mel B’s LA restraining-order trial may be open to public – Orange County Register

LOS ANGELES — A judge said today he is inclined to keep open to the public most of the upcoming trial of Spice Girl Melanie Brown’s request for a domestic violence restraining order against her estranged husband, but that he may excuse spectators during some sensitive moments.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Mark Juhas said he is restrained by the First Amendment from ordering a blanket closure of the courtroom, but that he can pause and hear motions by lawyers for Brown or Stephen Belafonte for a possible private setting if the issues involve child visitation or videos of a sexual nature that may exist.

Juhas said that if he completely shuts out the public from the courtroom and someone filed a motion with the 2nd District Court of Appeal, his ruling would likely be overturned “in a heartbeat.”

Brown’s lawyer, Susan Wiesner, said her main reason for wanting the courtroom sealed is that she believes Belafonte may be trying to provide to the media videos of intimate moments between the former couple.

“He is trying to actually do what he has threatened to do for 10 years,” Weisner alleged.

Wiesner said she is obligated to protect her client’s three children from being exposed to any explicit material Belafonte may intend to make public on the Internet. In her court papers, she argues the best say to do that is for the public and the media to be restricted from reporting salacious information about the tapes.

The attorneys agreed to postpone the start of the domestic violence hearing from today’s date until Oct. 30 to accommodate the schedules of the lawyers and Brown. In the interim, depositions have been scheduled for Belafonte on Oct. 11 and for Brown on Oct. 16.

Brown, an “America’s Got Talent” judge, has accused Belafonte of emotional and physical abuse during their 10-year union.

In another action, Juhas extended until Oct. 30 a restraining order previously issued in Van Nuys Superior Court on behalf of Brown against the former couple’s ex-nanny, Lorraine Gilles. Juhas also will be considering whether to issue a domestic violence restraining order against Gilles. The singer alleges Gilles is helping Belafonte in his alleged threats to release the sex videos involving Brown.

Brown, 42, filed for divorce from Belafonte on March 20. She attended today’s hearing and listened intently to the often heated arguments by the attorneys, occasionally smiling. Belafonte, also 42, was absent.

In addition to the domestic violence…

Read the full article from the Source…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *