The Simatic S5 PLC is a controls automation platform based on Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC’s) manufactured and sold by Siemens. Siemens no longer supports the S5 product line and is considered obsolete. Siemens has since replaced the Simatic S5 platform with their newer Simatic S7 platform.
For over two decades, the Simatic S5 hardware and software platform was successfully used in the process industry and in manufacturing automation as a complete controller family for a wide range of controller tasks. Many Simatic S5 control systems are still in reliable service today, but rapid technological changes and increased market demands have placed stringent requirements on these older systems. A migration from the Siemens Simatic S5 controllers to Simatic S7 is therefore always a wise decision as this newer platform has the capabilities to handle the advancements in today’s automation systems.
With discontinuation of the S5 product series, maintenance of these control systems is becoming more difficult and expensive. This situation can be avoided by migrating to Simatic S7. At the same time, you gain access to the latest process control system functions, thereby increasing the productivity of your plant processes. A combination of Simatic S7 and the Simatic S5 automation system can also be implemented as part of a Siemens migration that can be performed over time, thus minimizing manufacturing downtime.
The problems with conventional S5 upgrades
– The S5 code isn’t always directly portable to the S7 platform.
– Limited production downtime available for changeover.
– Obsolete local and remote I/O modules need to be converted at the same time as the processor is upgraded.
– The cost implications of having to upgrade the software and hardware associated with large PLC control systems.
Advantages of upgrading the S5 platform
– Existing S5 modules, installed in local and remote I/O racks, can be retained and then replaced in stages or a complete system upgrade can be…