Second suspect in London subway attack arrested; terror threat level downgraded to ‘severe’

A second suspect was arrested on Saturday in connection with the subway attack at London’s Parsons Green station that left 30 people injured, officials announced on Sunday as the city’s terror threat level is downgraded to “severe.”

A 21-year-old man was arrested late Saturday night in Hounslow in west London under the Terrorism Act, authorities said. Another 18-year-old man was arrested earlier in the day at the port of Dover, where ferries leave for France, and is also being held under the Terrorism Act. The suspects’ names have not been released and no charges have been filed.

The arrests indicate police and security services believe Friday’s attack involved several people.

“We are still pursing numerous lines of inquiry and at a great pace,” counter-terrorism coordinator Neil Basu of the London police said late Saturday.

Officials announced on Sunday the terror threat level was downgraded from “critical” to “severe,” meaning an attack is highly likely, Sky News reported. The terror threat was raised  to “critical” – meaning an attack is imminent – on Friday after an improvised explosive device partially detonated on the train in southwest London during Friday morning rush hour when commuters – including children heading to school – were just starting out their day.

British Prime Minister Teresa May initially said raising the threat level to its highest point was a “proportionate and sensible step.” Police called on the public to be vigilant.

Read the full article from the Source…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *