Many women face problems such as asymmetry of the breasts, loss of breast volume and abnormalities of the breast after a mastectomy. Many surgeons recommend DIEP flap breast reconstruction for correcting all such issues. If an experienced and skilled plastic surgeon is chosen for performing the deep inferior epigastric perforator flap (DIEP) procedure, you are ensured natural looking and softer breasts.
DIEP Flap Breast Reconstruction Is a Solution for Several Problems
This procedure offers a good solution for various problems that arise post any breast surgery. This is a reconstructive surgery in which the tissue or skin is removed from the abdominal area for recreating the breast. During mastectomy there is partial or complete removal of the breasts. In bilateral mastectomies, there is removal of both the breasts. Through DIEP Flap procedure, the breasts can be successfully reconstructed. This procedure has to be performed a few months after mastectomy or immediately after it.
The procedure is also recommended for women who are having problems with implants. Sometimes, lot of discomfort and pain is experienced in implant surgery of the breasts. This issue can be corrected by DIEP flap and symmetrical and natural outcomes can be achieved.
Some women experience abnormalities in breast size. In some cases, the size of one breast may be smaller than the other. Other issues include deformities of skeletal chest wall and ribs or complete absence of the chest muscle or breast. This advanced procedure of plastic surgery can definitely correct it.
Why Opt for DIEP Flap Breast Reconstruction?
One of the biggest advantages of this procedure is that there is no removal of abdominal muscle. Various benefits are offered by this procedure. Listed below are some of them:
- The stomach muscles are preserved and abdominal strength is maintained
- Since excess tissue and fat are removed from the abdomen, the benefits of tummy tuck can be enjoyed. There is no adverse effect on donor site.
- Delayed reconstruction of droopy and large breasts is possible
- Flexibility is offered to the plastic surgeon for molding the breasts
- Many problems related to implants are set right
- Fast recovery, short hospital stay and reduced pain
- Routine activities can be resumed soon after the surgery
- Enduring results
However, a patient should confirm beforehand whether he/she is the right candidate for this procedure. It is not suitable for women who suffer from heart ailments, lung disease, autoimmune…