Protesters leave mall, march on suburban street

ST. LOUIS (AP) — The Latest on unrest in St. Louis following the acquittal of a former police officer I the death of a black man (all times local):

9:45 p.m.

About 150 protesters gathered outside the St. Louis Outlet Mall in the north St. Louis County town of Hazelwood.

But the mall and all its stores had closed early on Friday because of the planned protests. So organizers had everyone carpool to nearby St. Charles, which was overrun with thousands of people attending an Oktoberfest event.

The protesters marched on St. Charles’ Main Street, but no problems were reported.

Protests have occurred around the St. Louis area since a judge ruled Sept. 15 that white former St. Louis police officer Jason Stockley was not guilty of first-degree murder in the 2011 shooting death of 24-year-old Anthony Lamar Smith, who was black.


2:30 p.m.

St. Louis aldermen have unanimously passed a resolution honoring a black man fatally shot by a white former police officer in 2011.

The resolution passed Friday as Anthony Lamar Smith’s mother, Annie Smith, looked on. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Alderman John Collins-Muhammad said he invited Annie Smith to show her that aldermen “share her pain, frustration and dissatisfaction.”

Mayor Lyda Krewson and aldermanic President Lewis Reed hugged Annie Smith after the vote.

Jason Stockley and his partner sought to question Anthony Lamar Smith after witnessing what they thought was a drug transaction. After a chase, Stockley shot Smith five times, claiming Smith had a gun. Prosecutors said Stockley planted the weapon in Smith’s car.

A judge acquitted Stockley on Sept. 15, setting off protests. The American Civil Liberties Union of Missouri on Friday filed a lawsuit over police treatment of protesters.


1:10 p.m.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Missouri is suing the city of St. Louis over what it calls “unlawful and unconstitutional action” during demonstrations that followed the acquittal of a former police officer in the killing of a black man.

The suit filed Friday accuses police of misconduct by using chemical weapons, interfering with video of police activity and violating due process.

A spokesman for Mayor Lyda Krewson says the mayor’s office has not seen the lawsuit, and declined comment.

More than 160 people have been arrested since demonstrations began Sept. 15 after Jason Stockley was ruled not guilty of first-degree murder in the death of Anthony Lamar Smith. Most of those arrests were on Friday and Sunday nights….

Read the full article from the Source…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *