Professor, British man suspected in brutal slaying surrender peacefully

CHICAGO — A Northwestern University professor and a University of Oxford employee wanted in the brutal stabbing death of a Chicago man surrendered peacefully in California and will be returned to Chicago for interrogation, federal and local authorities said.

Wyndham Lathem, 42, gave himself up late Friday at the Oakland federal building and Andrew Warren, 56, surrendered at about the same time to the San Francisco Police Department, according to Michael McCloud, fugitive taskforce commander with the U.S. Marshals Service.

Their capture was announced Friday night by Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi, who credited the U.S. Marshals Service with handing the suspects over to California police, CBS Chicago reports.

McCloud said the surrender of the two suspects was “negotiated,” although he declined to say how that happened. 

“We were not in contact with them directly,” during the negotiations, he said. 

Lathem, an associate microbiology professor at Northwestern, was booked into the Alameda County jail. Warren, a Somerville College resident at Oxford University in England, was taken to the San Francisco County Jail. They will appear separately in court before being extradited to Illinois. It was not immediately clear when that would happen.

A manhunt had been underway since shortly after the body of 26-year-old Trenton James Cornell-Duranleau was found riddled with stab wounds on July 27 in the Chicago apartment where Lathem lived. 

“Both individuals will be held accountable for their actions and we hope today’s arrest brings some comfort for the victim’s family,” a Chicago police statement said. 

Police said Lathem had sent a video to friends and relatives apologizing for his involvement in the crime, which he called the “biggest mistake of my life.” The video raised concern among investigators that Lathem might kill himself. 

Police said earlier on Friday that Lathem had sent a video to friends and relatives apologizing for his involvement in a crime that he called the “biggest mistake of my life,” raising concern among investigators that he might kill himself. Warren had arrived in the United States three days before the death of Cornell-Duranleau and was seen in surveillance video leaving the building with Lathem that day. 

“We are also thankful both men are safely in custody and this did not end in further tragedy,” the police statement said. 

Warren had arrived in the United States three days before the death of Cornell-Duranleau and was…

Read the full article from the Source…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *