LOS ANGELES — The parents of a 24-year-old UC Irvine graduate who died while attending the Electric Daisy Carnival rave in Las Vegas in 2015 sued the promoters Tuesday, alleging there were inadequate medical personnel present after their son ingested a fatal dose of the drug Ecstasy.
Terry and Gayline Tom filed the case in Los Angeles Superior Court against Insomniac Holdings LLC and Live Nation Entertainment Inc., alleging wrongful death and negligence and seeking unspecified compensatory and punitive damages.
Representatives for the promoters could not be immediately reached for comment.
Nicholas Austin Tom, who lived in San Francisco, died June 22, 2015, at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway, where the rave was being held. He graduated from UC Irvine in 2013 with a degree in biological sciences and a minor in psychology and was a medical assistant at UC San Francisco Medical Center.
The effects of Ecstasy and the high temperature combined to cause him to collapse and suffer a seizure, the suit states.
“Good Samaritan bystanders witnessed Nicholas seizing on the ground and foaming at the mouth and tried to help, but the music was too loud,” preventing anyone from hearing when they yelled for a medic, according to the lawsuit.
The bystanders tried to carry him to get help, an effort made difficult by the many fans, some of whom were “high” and oblivious to what was going on, the suit states.
The people helping Tom found a medic tent a half-hour later — with no personnel inside, according to the suit, which alleges there “were only two to three medical tents to serve 135,000 people over 1,200 acres.”
A group of staff members with no medical training arrived and said medics “had their hands full and were unavailable,” the suit states. One of the staff members tried to pour water down the stricken man’s throat, a dangerous action because the water could end up in a victim’s lungs, the suit states.
The staff members told the good Samaritans to…