Officials confirm more than 13,000 rescued in Houston area during Harvey storm

As the death toll from the historic flooding caused by storm Harvey rises, officials also confirm that around 13,000 people have been rescued in the Houston area.

The Latest on Tropical Storm Harvey (all times local):

12:50 a.m.

A second major shelter has opened in Houston following Harvey’s landfall and it’s welcoming the first of up to 10,000 evacuees.

At least 10 buses pulled up to the NRG Center on the south side of the city just before midnight Tuesday. Those in wheelchairs entered first, followed by the first of what officials said could be up to 2,000 people by sunrise Wednesday at the conference hall adjacent to the decommissioned Astrodome and the city’s NFL stadium.

The George R. Brown Convention Center downtown has filled to nearly double its originally announced capacity of 5,000 in the five days since the storm first made landfall as a Category 4 hurricane.

The evacuees brought to NRG Center came from other parts of the metro area.

12:30 a.m.

Photos with pleas for help in finding the missing from Tropical Storm Harvey are being posted and retweeted by the thousands as desperate family members seek loved ones who they fear might be dead, but may only have a dead phone.

No official number of missing has been released Tuesday night, but dozens of missing-person photos are circulating on social media. Some are getting results, though not always positive ones.

The family of Ruben Jordan, a 58-year-old retired football and track coach from a Houston-area high school, spread pleas on Twitter and Facebook for 48 hours before they were told he was found dead Tuesday.

The mother of baby Paige Booth was frantic for four hours after she handed off her baby to a police officer amid chest-high water then couldn’t find her.
After a series of posts, she got a call from a family of strangers that had her baby, and the two were soon reunited.

11:15 p.m. (Tuesday)

The Rockport-Fulton Fighting Pirates won’t take the field Friday for their season opener, but some of their players took to the field Tuesday to help clean it up.

Winds from Harvey last week sheared the uprights from both goal posts, stripped most of the metal from the stadium scoreboards, scattered sheet metal through the stands and destroyed the gymnasium where the girls’ volleyball team plays.

By word of mouth, some football and volleyball players met Monday afternoon to begin the cleanup. Even more players showed up Tuesday.

Athletic director Jay Seibert said that after three…

Read the full article from the Source…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *