Newry, Maine (PRWEB)
September 15, 2017
The North American Wife Carrying Championship returns to Sunday River in Maine for its 18th year as part of the resort’s annual Fall Festival Weekend, Oct. 7-8, 2017.
Kicking off at 11 a.m. on Saturday, October 7, 60 pre-registered couples will test their wife-carrying skills on a 278-yard alpine obstacle course in an attempt to win their wife’s weight in beer and five times her weight in cash.
Championship couples also qualify to compete in the World Wife Carrying Championship which takes place in Finland every summer.
Showcased on Good Morning America and Live with Kelly, and featuring such celebrities as The Travel Channel’s Bert the Conqueror, this event attracts competitors and former champions from all around the U.S. and Canada.
Part of Sunday River’s Fall Festival Weekend, spectator admission to the North American Wife Carrying Championship is free.
Guests to Sunday River’s Fall Festival Weekend are invited to reserve lodging at either of the resort’s two hotels or inn. Room rates start at $109.
During Fall Festival Weekend, guests can also take advantage of the following events, including:
Saturday, October 7:
- 11AM 18th Annual North American Wife Carrying Championship (competitor registration is closed)
- 9AM-5PM 34th Annual Blue Mountain Craft Fair
- 12PM-3PM Wine Tasting Tent*
- 1PM-5PM Live Music
Sunday, October 8:
- 9AM-3PM 34th Annual Blue Mountain Craft Fair
- 10AM 4th Annual Cornhole Championship (competitor registration is still open)
- 10AM Mountaintop Worship Service
- 10AM-2PM Bloody Mary Tent*
- 11AM-3PM Live Music
- Retail sales
- Mountain Park Activities: scenic lift rides, mountain biking, zipline tours, twin zips, climbing wall, hiking, and disc golf*
- Kid’s games and pony rides*
- Wagon rides
(*Admission and activity fees apply.)
For more information about the North American Wife Carrying Championship or Sunday River’s Fall Festival Weekend, visit sundayriver.com.
For all media inquiries, including video and photo needs, contact Darcy Lambert, Director of Communications for Sunday River, at dlambert(at)sundayriver(dot)com or 207-824-5243.