An Australian teenager Saturday said mysterious sea creatures ate through his skin at the Dendy Street Beach in Brighton, Melbourne.
Sam Kanizay, 16, went to soak his legs at the bay after a football match on Saturday. Half an hour later, he walked out of the water with his legs covered in blood and saw tiny sea creatures gnawing at his legs.
“When he got out, he described having sand on his legs, so he went back in the water,” his father Jarrod Kanizay said. “He went back to his shoes and what he found was blood on his legs. They [the sea creatures] ate through Sam’s skin and made it bleed profusely.”
Sam’s father was curious to know more about the marine creatures responsible for the attack on his son. So he went to the beach Sunday night and placed a net full of meat in order to capture and film the creatures. The footage showed hundreds of those mysterious creatures swarming around the food.
“What is really clear is these little things really love meat,” he told the Herald Sun.
“No one knows what the creatures are. They’ve called a number of people, whether it’s toxicity experts or marine exerts and other medics around Melbourne at least… [and] yep, no one [knows],” he said of the video, showing the bugs in a tray of water devouring chunks of meat.
After the incident, Sam was immediately taken to the Sandringham Hospital when the bleeding did not stop. While he was recovering in the hospital, the family waited for answers as doctors struggled to figure out what had eaten through Sam’s skin. The family believed it could be sea lice.
“As soon as we wiped them [his legs] down, they kept bleeding,” Jarrod said. “There was a massive pool of blood on the floor [at the hospital].”
Local swimmer Paul Duckett claimed he never saw such a case before, despite his daily swims at the same spot for the last 16 years. “We swim there every day and we’re in the water for anything from 15 to 30 minutes, and no one’s ever experienced anything like this,” he told Fairfax Media.
“This was a first, so that’s why I query whether it’s sea lice or some other creature that have caused the issue.”
However, associate professor at Monash University’s School of Biological Sciences Richard…