Mom’s alarming photo of sleeping toddler warns parents of indoor heatstroke

A Canadian mother is hoping to bring awareness to the dangers of indoor heatstroke, which she said could have taken the life of her 3-year-old daughter.

Jenn Abma of Edmonton, Alberta, told ABC News that she went upstairs to wake her toddler, Anastasia, from her hour-long nap on July 13. Abma said Anastasia was overheating in her bedroom and would not wake up.

“I had a gut feeling something was wrong,” Abma recalled. “I went upstairs and it was extremely hot. It was like a sauna in there. The curtains were closed and the windows were open and she was in the direction of the direct sun. Being that hot outside, even with the window open, it’s not circulation — it’s just heat.”

Abma, a mother of two, dialed 911 and EMS immediately arrived, she said. Anastasia’s blood glucose level read below average, so first responders administered glucose liquid to raise the sugar in her body, according to Abma. Her body temperature reached 104 degrees Fahrenheit before EMS were able to cool the child down and she awoke minutes later, Abma said.

According to Accuweather.com, the temperature in Edmonton was at a high of 84.2 degrees Fahrenheit on July 13, the day Anastasia was affected by heatstroke.

Abma said she does not have an air conditioning unit in her home, but noted that it had never been an issue until now.

“This is her first summer in the house and I was unaware that bedroom got hotter than the rest,” she added.

The EMS of Alberta Health Services responded to Abma’s call, she said. “Alberta Health Services EMS did respond to a call for Anastasia,” a spokeswoman told ABC News.

Moments after EMS had answered Abma’s emergency call, Abma said she snapped a photo of her daughter in the middle the ordeal.

“They [EMS] said, ‘You should probably share this with your family and friends,’ so they were there when I took the photo,” Abma said.

The next day, Abma shared the image on Instagram to raise parents’ awareness of heatstroke dangers.

“No it is not my fault this happened to her but it is hard not to blame yourself, this is a lesson learnt [sic] & hopefully other parents can take something from this & make sure you are checking the rooms in your house because thy [sic] can be as dangerous as a hot car,” Abma wrote on July 14. “Still I’m shook and I can’t imagine what would have happened if I didn’t go check on her.”

Abma said she has received mixed responses on the post about her daughter. She also said that she invested in an oscillating…

Read the full article from the Source…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *