Man fatally shot by Kent police was wanted on 2 arrest warrants

Eugene Nelson, 20, of Seattle, had warrants out for his arrest on an alleged domestic-violence assault and another in connection with the theft of a car from a Seattle auto dealership.

A 20-year-old Seattle man who was killed by Kent police early Wednesday was wanted on a felony warrant for allegedly stealing a BMW from a Seattle car dealership in May after posing as a customer, court records show.

The $25,000 arrest warrant was signed by a King County Superior Court judge on Tuesday, roughly 10 hours before Eugene Nelson was accused of violating a domestic-violence no-contact order when he showed up at his ex-girlfriend’s work at a Kent strip mall in the 23600 block of 104th Avenue Southeast, according to court records and Kent police.

It was the third time Nelson had violated the order within the previous 24 hours, Kent police Cmdr. Jarod Kasner wrote in a news release.

At 12:04 a.m. Wednesday, police responded to a 911 call at the strip mall and attempted to contact Nelson. He ran to his vehicle and started the engine, police said.

Most Read Stories

Unlimited Digital Access. $1 for 4 weeks.

A K-9 officer and his police dog tried to stop Nelson and both were dragged by the vehicle, suffering minor injuries, police said.

Two officers fired at the man several times and he died at the scene, according to police.

The investigation into the shooting is being conducted by the Valley Investigative Team, a group of detectives from South King County police agencies that examine officer-involved shootings in the area, with the Renton Police Department taking the lead. The two officers who fired at the man have been placed on paid administrative leave, as is standard in officer-involved shootings.

On Thursday, the King County Medical Examiner’s Office identified the man as Nelson and determined he died from multiple gunshot wounds.

Nelson, apparently found out in April that his 21-year-old ex-girlfriend was seeking a no-contact order against him, according to the police report that’s part of a misdemeanor case filed in Kent Municipal Court.

On April 26, he showed up at her Kent apartment, grabbed her jacket, shook her and then bit her on the face, the police report says. After briefly driving off with her in his car, Nelson brought her back home and demanded she get the paperwork for the domestic-violence no-contact order, it says.

Instead, the woman went inside and called 911.

Nelson was charged with…

Read the full article from the Source…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *