Ms. Swift said Mr. Mueller had lifted her skirt and grabbed her rear while posing with her for a preconcert photo session in 2013. Lawyers for the defendants have said that Andrea Swift and Mr. Bell acted properly to protect Ms. Swift as well as other young women who might face a similar situation.
Mr. Mueller was fired a day after the incident, about six months into his two-year contract, but did not file suit until 2015. Ms. Swift then countersued, accusing Mr. Mueller of assault and battery. The cases were heard together and Ms. Swift’s countersuit against Mr. Mueller will move forward.
The eight jurors had been sent home hours before Judge Martínez released his ruling on Friday evening. He told the six women and two men not to discuss or research the case over the weekend and to return Monday to hear closing arguments from the two sides and receive instructions from him before starting to decide the case, which is now sharply curtailed.
Ms. Swift’s legal team said on Friday that it planned to call no witnesses and would rely instead on the previous testimony of witnesses called by Mr. Mueller’s lawyer, including Ms. Swift.
In arguments made out of the jurors’ hearing, Mr. Mueller’s lawyer Gabriel McFarland insisted to the judge that his client had not groped Ms. Swift, but acknowledged that he had presented no evidence that the star made up charges she did not believe.
“To be candid,” he said, “I don’t think there is evidence that she didn’t believe Mr. Mueller inappropriately touched her.”
Ms. Swift’s lawyer, Douglas Baldridge, had asked the judge to dismiss the case against all three defendants.
During her testimony Thursday, Ms. Swift was firm in her depiction of Mr. Mueller’s behavior.
“He did not touch my ribs,” she said, referring to comments…