The Iranian foreign ministry has said it would not accept “any changes, now or in the future”.
Foreign Minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif, added that the demands were a “desperate attempt” to undermine the deal.
Mr Trump was the one that needed to check his compliance, he said.
President Trump made a temporary renewal of the agreement, which was negotiated by his predecessor Barack Obama‘s administration.
He had previously described it as “the worst deal ever”.
However, he said it would be the final time that economic sanctions would be waived by the US, although the deal’s European signatories – the UK, France, and Germany, alongside Russia and China – reaffirmed their commitments.
Following the announcement, Mr Zarif tweeted: “Trump’s policy & today’s announcement amount to desperate attempts to undermine a solid multilateral agreement, maliciously violating its paras 26, 28 & 29.
“The Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) is not renegotiable: rather than repeating tired rhetoric, the US must bring itself into full compliance – just like Iran.”
Iran agreed to restrict its nuclear programme for at least 10 years in exchange for the relaxation of sanctions which have hamstrung its economic development in recent years.
Despite his objections this is the third time President Trump has renewed the deal and UK Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said on Friday “nobody has so far produced a better alternative”.
Mr Trump maintains that Iran is not complying with the spirit of the deal, despite his own advisors previously admitting there had been no technical violations.
“Either fix the deal’s disastrous flaws, or the United States will withdraw,” he said.
New York protests against Iran nuclear deal
He is demanding Iran allow immediate inspections at nuclear sites on request, and that so-called “sunset clauses”, which see the restrictions on…