Crews are back to work on highways and freeways across the region. Expect delays if you are heading in most any direction.
The Southcenter Squeeze will return this weekend on Interstate 5, as crews get back to work installing pavement and Interurban Avenue bridge-expansion joints.
The northbound freeway will be reduced to two lanes, from 8 p.m. Friday until 5 a.m. Monday, to continue what the state calls its #reviveI5 program. Past weekend lane closures have generated backups of 5 miles or longer.
That choke point will cause spillover congestion not just along I-5 but into Interstate 405 west of Renton and Highway 518 downhill out of SeaTac.
Two more weekend jobs there are scheduled Sept. 29-Oct. 2, and Oct. 13-16, according to the Washington State Department of Transportation.
Traffic Lab is a Seattle Times project that digs into the region’s thorny transportation issues, spotlights promising approaches to easing gridlock, and helps readers find the best ways to get around. It is funded with the help of community sponsors Alaska Airlines, CenturyLink, Kemper Development Co., Sabey Corp., Seattle Children’s hospital and Ste. Michelle Wine Estates. Seattle Times editors and reporters operate independently of our funders and maintain editorial control over Traffic Lab content.
On other highways:
• Interstate 90 repaving continues through September or October, varying by site. The westbound bridge downhill from Snoqualmie Pass is undergoing deck repairs this weekend, and the freeway will split into detour lanes. Also, two of four lanes just east of North Bend remain closed eastbound, and on Indian John Hill near Cle Elum, the freeway westbound remains limited to two divided lanes.
• In Everett, westbound Highway 526 will close between I-5 and Evergreen Way, from 8 p.m. Friday until 9 a.m. Saturday, followed by an eastbound closure from 9 p.m. Saturday until 10 a.m. Sunday, from Evergreen Way to Southeast Everett Mall Way.
• Southbound I-5 drivers approaching the Smokey Point rest area should prepare to brake for a two-lane closure from 9 p.m. Friday until 7 a.m. Saturday, and again from 9:30 p.m. Saturday until 9 a.m. Sunday, for asphalt replacement.
• Bellevue Way ramps to and from I-90 will close from 5:30 a.m. Saturday until 9 p.m. Sunday, for the ongoing light-rail extension project.
• In Seattle, two left lanes of northbound I-5 at the Ship Canal Bridge will…