A picture of the Orlando skyline.
SALT LAKE CITY — If you’re hoping to get away sometime soon, you might want to consider the finances of a worthwhile trip.
Research shows that more than half of Americans don’t use their vacation time. In fact, 54 percent of workers in 2016 ended the year without using all of their time off, which meant that 662 million vacation days went unused, according to Fortune.
But that number is actually a slight improvement from 2015, when 55 percent of employees didn’t use their vacation days. And the average number of vacation days used by employees in 2016 (16.8) jumped from 16.2 the previous year.
“Overall Americans are using more vacation days,” Katie Denis, senior director of Project Time Off, told Fortune. “There’s been a slight uptick.”
So, if you’re one of those Americans searching for a vacation, where should you go?
Here’s a quick breakdown of the top 10 vacation spots (according to the Travel Channel) and how much they’d cost a family of four.
A little context on our methodology:
- For flights, we selected the most affordable price to help those families watching their finances. Plane tickets were based on two adults and two children (0 to 11 years old).
- We based the tour fares on the rates in those specific locations.
- Hotel prices were for a five-night stay. We selected the lowest-priced hotel based on those with 3-star ratings. Not the best hotel available, but certainly affordable ones.
- Car rentals can vary on price, model and distance traveled. It also depends on insurance and what company you rent from. We selected the lowest-priced cars that could hold three-to-five passengers and three to four bags. We based this price on a five-day rental.
- For bus tours, we selected the lowest price, which was for a day-long tour of each of the cities.
- We based all prices on a weekday to find the lowest prices, too.
- These prices don’t factor in expenses like food, activities or other scenic tours. They also don’t account for taxes, fees and other added costs.
- The cities below are ranked by…