Preparation time: 40 minutes. Total Time: 2 hours.
Basic nutritional information:
Each serving contains about 685 calories, or which 500 are from fat. Cholesterol content is 420 mg. Sodium is 1683 mg. Total carbohydrates are about 38 g. These numbers will vary based on the number of servings you make and the types of ingredients you use.
12 bell peppers (all one color or you can mix it up)
1 lb ground beef
1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
1 lb sauerkraut
6 tbs extra virgin olive oil
3 tbs tomato paste
1 tb granulated sugar
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1 bunch dill, finely chopped
1/2 lb feta, small cubes
7oz crème fraiche
4 large eggs, beaten
1. Preheat your oven to: 400F/200C
If you have a gas oven: set the oven on 6
2. Cut the top off the bell peppers and set aside. You can use peppers that are all the same color, or you can mix your colors. This depends on personal style and desired presentation effects. Now remove the seeds and hollow out your peppers. Wash them out and set them aside to dry.
3. Brown the ground beef in a pan. If you are not using a nonstick pan, add a couple tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil to the pan to prevent sticking. Rinse the ground beef thoroughly, drain and set aside.
4. Sauté the onion in two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil until they become clear and tender. Add in the sauerkraut and tomato paste. Stir well. Add in the granulated sugar and season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 4-5 minutes stirring occasionally.
5. Add the browned ground beef to your mixture. Stir in well and continue simmering for additional 4-5 minutes to allow the flavors time to mingle and settle.
6. Add dill, feta and three tablespoons crème fraiche to the sauerkraut mixture. Stir well and continue to allow simmering. This is the filling for your peppers.
7. Lightly grease a casserole dish, or you can spray it with nonstick cooking spray. If you choose to use nonstick cooking spray, try to stay away from butter flavored varieties.
8. Spoon the filling into the peppers and set them inside the greased casserole dish.
9. Mix the eggs with the remaining crème fraiche, add a few drops of water and season with the hot paprika, salt and pepper to taste. Pour this over the tops of the stuffed peppers.
10. Place the tops of the peppers back onto their respective bottoms and cover the entire dish with a lid or foil. Seal the edges well and place the dish in the oven.
11. Bake the peppers for 40 minutes.
12. Remove the dish from the…