Washington, DC (PRWEB)
September 25, 2017
The United States is experiencing a drop in overall life expectancy for the first time in nearly 25 years, due in part to increases in two of the nation’s most heart-breaking and yet preventable public health challenges: the increasing rate of suicide and the increasing misuse of opioid drugs. This one-of-a-kind event will focus on what can be done on a community level to address these national crises. Public and private sector thought leaders will discuss potential solutions for reducing so-called “deaths of despair” – death by drugs, alcohol and suicide — restoring hope, and saving lives in communities across the country. Our discussion comes in the wake of the Administration’s call to declare the opioid crisis a “national emergency” and on the eve of delivery of final recommendations of the President’s Commission on Combating Drug Addiction and the Opioid Crisis.
- Dr. Alex Crosby, Senior Medical Advisor on Suicide Prevention, Division of Violence Prevention (DVP), National Center for Injury Prevention and Control (NCIPC), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Dr. Arthur C. Evans, Chief Executive Officer, American Psychological Association
- Ms. Brooke Feldman, Mental Health and Addiction Recovery Advocate; Blogger, Huffington Post; Voice of Lived Experience
- Mr. Patrick Kennedy, Founder, The Kennedy Forum; Member, President’s Commission on Combating Drug Addiction and the Opioid Crisis, Executive Committee Member, Action Alliance
- Mr. Gary Langis, Substance Abuse Prevention Consultant, EDC; Voice of Lived Experience
- Dr. Elinore McCance-Katz, Assistant Secretary for Mental Health and Substance Use, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- Dr. Jerry Reed, Senior Vice President, EDC; Executive Committee Member, Action Alliance
- Ms. Kay Warren, Co-founder, Saddleback Church; Executive Committee Member, Action Alliance
WHEN: Wednesday, September 27, 2017 from 3:00-5:30 p.m.
Ronald Reagan Building and International Trade Center
Rotunda, North Tower, 8th Floor
1300 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20004
RSVP: Media must RSVP to this event by emailing or calling Alison Cohen acohen(at)edc.org and/or Kimberly Torguson ktorguson(at)edc.org.