Abnormal breathing pattern while sleeping is called as sleep apnea. This affects the quality of sleep of an individual as one has to wake up in the middle of the night to resume breathing. As the air passing through the tracheas gets halt; the oxygen levels in the blood drops down causing one to suffer from sleep disturbance due to breathing issues. Though it seems harmless, it has severe effects on the individual as he/she literally stops breathing for couple of seconds or minutes in the sleep. Snoring sound is made by the sufferer which is the major symptom of this illness. This develops regardless of age, gender.
Types of Sleep Apnea
- Obstructive sleep apnea: This is the commonest type in which the soft tissues in the throat become the obstruction for the air to pass through.
- Central sleep apnea: In this the brain fails to indicate which muscles to be involved in the management of breathing while the sufferer is asleep.
- Complex sleep apnea: It is a mix of two types of sleep apnea.
Symptoms of Sleep Apnea
· Breathing interruptions while sleeping
· Sleep disturbance
· Problem in concentrating
· Learning issues
· Frequent urination at the nighttime
· Sore throat and dry lips
· Low libido
Causes of Sleep Apnea
· Generic inheritance
· Old age
· Pacific Islander
· Gender (It is more common in males)
Treatment of Sleep Apnea
Treatment options are given below
· Weight Loss
· Give up on smoking
· Keep alcohol and sleeping pills at bay
· Maintain a healthy pattern of sleep
· Don’t sleep on your backside
Read the full article from the Source…