California man accused in Kansas ‘swatting’ death also wanted in Canada

A Southern California man accused of making a hoax 911 call that led to the killing of an unarmed man in Kansas is now also wanted by authorities in Canada.

The Calgary Police Service has issued an arrest warrant for 25-year-old Los Angeles resident Tyler Barriss, who they allege made a “swatting” call on the evening of Dec. 22 to Calgary Police, in which the caller said he had shot his father and were holding his mother and younger brother hostage.

The information provided by the caller led police officers to a home on 17b Street S.W. in Calgary, and the police department’s tactical unit “quickly attended the residence, contained the scene, and began evacuating nearby units,” according to a police press release.

While the officers were on the scene, 911 dispatchers received another call from a woman who lived at the home, stating that she believed she was the victim of a swatting call, according to police. After she exited the home, officers confirmed that the intial report of a shooting and hostage scenario were false.

Calgary police believe the woman may have been targeted due to her online persona, adding that a “substantial amount” of resources were required to contain the scene and protect the safety of citizens.

After the incident, investigators from the police department’s cyber forensics unit “quickly” identified Barriss, who allegedly had made contact with the victim earlier in the day.

The arrest warrant charges Barriss with public mischief, fraud and mischief, police said.

“We take swatting events extremely seriously and will investigate each incident thoroughly,” Calgary police said. “Swatting calls have the potential to create significant risks for both public and officer safety and can require an extensive amount of resources to respond and investigate.”

On Dec. 28, Barriss allegedly called police in Kansas, detailing an alleged shooting with hostages as a residence in Wichita. Authorities received a 911 call around 6:18 p.m. Central Time from a man who said he had shot his father in the head while his parents were arguing, police said.

The caller also said he was holding his other family members at gunpoint inside the home and was thinking about setting the house on fire, repeatedly giving authorities the address to a Wichita home, according to authorities.

Officers surrounded the front of the home when they arrived on the scene and prepared to make contact with the caller inside, police said. A 28-year-old man then…

Read the full article from the Source…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *