Last Updated Jun 20, 2017 7:53 PM EDT
BRUSSELS — Soldiers shot dead a male suspect after a small explosion at the central Brussels train station, a spokeswoman for the city prosecutor’s office said early Wednesday morning.
Nobody else seemed to be injured and the damage was limited, Brussels prosecutor’s office spokeswoman Ine Van Wymersch told VRT network. Photos posted on social media showed a small fire in the station.
Van Wymersch said the man had been lying still since soldiers shot him Tuesday night and says medics couldn’t attend to him for several hours out of fear he could be carrying explosives.
Authorities could only confirm his death once a bomb squad had finished its work, Van Wymersch added.
Earlier on Tuesday the Belgian federal prosecutor declared that they foiled a “terror attack.”
Federal prosecutor Eric Van der Sypt said soldiers “neutralized” a suspect and added that “this incident is considered as a terrorist attack.”
National newspaper La Libre Belgique quoted the Brussels prosecutor’s office as saying the suspect was wearing a backpack and an explosive belt. Nicolas Van Herreweghen, who works for Belgium’s national rail company, said the male suspect was very agitated, yelling about jihadists and then “Allahu akbar,” meaning “God is great” in Arabic, before blowing something up on a baggage cart.
He said the suspect appeared to be 30 to 35 years old.
Grand Place, a major tourist site in the Belgian capital, was…