Barcelona attack: Third person arrested in Ripoll over deadly Las Ramblas terror rampage

A second person has been arrested in the Spanish town of Ripoll in connection with the Barcelona terror attack that killed 13 people, bringing the total detained to three.

Joaquim Forn, a Catalan councillor with responsibility for the interior, said: “Another person has just been detained in Ripoll who could be implicated.

“That makes two arrests in Ripoll and a third in Alcanar.”

It comes after the arrest of Driss Oukabir, a resident of the town which lies about 60 miles north of Barcelona, in connection with the attack in Barcelona’s busy La Rambla promenade.

Mr Oukabir, 28, a French citizen of Moroccan descent, presented voluntarily to police in Ripoll and claimed his younger brother Moussa had stolen his identity documents.

Some 100 people were injured in Thursday afternoon’s attack, including more than a dozen with serious wounds. Authorities say the death toll may rise due to the severity of some people’s injuries.

Isis claimed responsibility for the massacre, which followed the pattern of numerous others in recent months that used vehicles to target pedestrians. The van driver fled after mowing down his victims, and witnesses said he did not appear to be armed.

“All of a sudden there was an immediate stampede and police shouting at people to run,” one told The Independent.

La Rambla is a wide, tree-lined boulevard and is home to dozens of shops, restaurants and bars. It is popular with tourists and would have been packed in the early evening.

The central part of the street is a tiled pedestrian promenade through which the terrorist’s van was driven.

Ethan Spibey, 25, told The Independent: “People were running into shops and taking refuge in cafes. There was a lot of screaming.

People just turned and sprinted in the opposite direction as the police were screaming at people to run away. They were telling people to get away as soon as possible. It was very scary.”

People from 24 countries were among the dead and injured, including 26 French nationals.

In a second incident in the town of Cambrils during the early hours of Friday, police shot dead five people to end another attack using the same method as the first.

A gang wearing suicide belts rammed civilians with a car before being brought down, leaving seven people, including a police officer, injured.

The suicide belts were later revealed to have been fake, in an echo of the London Bridge attack earlier this year.

Terrorists wearing explosive belts shot dead in…

Read the full article from the Source…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *