After Hurricane Harvey, Port Arthur residents remain stranded and homes still flooded, mayor says

Although Harvey’s floodwaters have begun to recede in parts of Port Arthur, Texas, Mayor Derrick Freeman told ABC News an unknown number of residents remain stranded and some homes, including his own, are still inundated with knee-deep water.

“Two nights ago, we had a lot of water. We got about 20 inches of water in about 24 hours, and it devastated our city,” Freeman said in an interview Thursday with “Good Morning America” co-anchor Robin Roberts. “There’s some parts that it’s receded, it’s gone down, but we still have people in 3-4 foot water in some homes.”

Joe Raedle/Getty Images
Volunteer rescuer workers help a woman from her home that was inundated with the flooding of Hurricane Harvey, Aug. 30, 2017 in Port Arthur, Texas.
Rescuers, some trained first responders and others volunteers, help to evacuate the Gulf Health Care Center, Aug. 30, 2017, in Port Arthur, Texas.

In a Facebook livestream on Wednesday night, the mayor showed the 4 feet of water still inside his own home in the southeast Texas city.

“We got some water, y’all. Harvey wasn’t playing,” Freeman says in the video.

The mayor told ABC News that first responders and volunteer rescuers in Port Arthur will be going door-to-door to homes to conduct welfare checks.

Days after Harvey made landfall in Texas as a Category 4 hurricane, the Beaumont-Port Arthur metropolitan area saw a record-shattering 26 or more inches of rainfall on Tuesday alone, unleashing treacherous torrents on the community, located some 85 miles east of Houston. Officials in Port Arthur were forced to evacuate a nursing home as well as the shelter at the Bob Bower Civic Center on Wednesday after the buildings began to fill with water.

“It was something that we weren’t prepared for,” Freeman said in the interview on “GMA.” “We didn’t know that we would have to get them out of there while we were rescuing people out of 4 foot water.”

Meanwhile, Motiva, the largest oil refinery in the United States, is shutting down due to the devastating floods in Port Arthur. Motiva announced in a statement early Wednesday that it began a “controlled shutdown of the Port Arthur refinery in response to increasing local flood conditions.” The refinery won’t reopen until flood waters recede, it said.

A flash-flood emergency for the cities of Beaumont and Port Arthur was extended until 4:30 p.m. Central Time on Wednesday. While the threat of heavy rains has ended in Houston, “catastrophic and…

Read the full article from the Source…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *