More than 100 people were evacuated from a Florida nursing home Wednesday after five people were reported dead at the Hollywood facility, whose residents were suffering from intense heat caused by a lack of electricity after deadly Hurricane Irma swept through.
Irma may have moved on from Florida, but lingering dangers caused by the storm, including carbon monoxide poisoning and heat-related incidents caused by a lack of air conditioning, remain in the Sunshine State, as millions wait for power to be restored.
Hollywood Fire Rescue and police told WSVN on Wednesday a total of 120 people were evacuated at The Rehabilitation Center in Hollywood Hills due to intense heat and no power.
Broward County Mayor Barbara Sharief confirmed five people died, but it wasn’t immediately clear if the deaths were related to heat.
Temperatures in Hollywood were expected to be around 86 degrees on Wednesday — but feel about 10 degrees warmer.
Three deaths occurred at the nursing home, and two deaths took place during transport to a nearby hospital, Sharief said.
Meanwhile, in Central Florida, three people were found dead inside an Orlando home Tuesday from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning, officials said.
Orange County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Jeff Williams told The Associated Press a deputy responded to the the home following a 911 call from what sounded like a juvenile. The deputy was overcome by fumes while approaching the home and called for fire rescue.
Firefighters discovered two people dead inside the house, FOX35 Orlando reported. Another person, who tried to get out of the home, was found dead on the front lawn, while…