Check out some of the crucial plays and players that helped define the outcomes of Sunday’s matchups.
USA TODAY Sports
The 40 things we learned from Week 1 of the NFL season:
1. While we’re happy to give a tip of the helmets to have football back on Sundays, it does feel different this season. #hurricanes. #Sept. 11. #perspective. So, remember, it’s only a game, folks.
2. And, oh, how those games can make your head spin, especially then each team is unveiling its new product on the first week of the season. A lot of “whoops” plays Sunday.
3. Are openers important? Under the 16-game schedule — excluding the 1982 strike season — teams which go 1-0 are twice as likely to reach the postseason than teams who start 0-1. So if your team lost this weekend, might as well start that draft chart. (Just kidding.)
4. The Buffalo Bills are in first place in the AFC East. By themselves. New England Patriots — tied for last. #frameit
5. Pittsburgh Steelers RB Le’Veon Bell was not in football shape. That’s what holdouts will do. In the first half, he had four carries for 8 yards vs. the Cleveland Browns, who ranked 31st in NFL against run last season. He finished with 10 carries for 32 yards. Ewww.
6. Meanwhile, Steelers WR Antonio Brown had 182 receiving yards, sixth-most of his career. He was in training camp.
7. And Pittsburgh QB Ben Roethlisberger now has 37 career TD passes vs. the Browns, the team he’s victimized most in his 14-year career.
8. First touchdown of the 2017 season? The Steelers’ blocked punt of the Browns. Can’t make it up.
9. Houston fans barely got done singing “Home of the Brave” before Texans coach Bill O’Brien yanked Tom Savage in favor of rookie Deshaun Watson. (Well, it was halftime, but you get the idea. Once again, O’Brien showed the quick trigger even though the offensive line was as much to blame as Savage for Houston’s struggles.)
10. Detroit Lions QB Matthew Stafford’s first pass after becoming highest-paid player? A pick-six. Some of these are just too easy.
11.Giorgio Tavecchio > Sebatian Janikowski. The Vegas crowd will love it. #raiderskickers
12. Uh, Ben McAdoo? If Odell Beckham Jr. is out and your offense is sputtering, you might want to get your big free agent WR…