News & articles

3 police officers shot in downtown Seattle

The conditions of the officers were not immediately known.

Three Seattle police officers were shot and wounded while trying to arrest robbery suspects in downtown Seattle on Thursday afternoon before one of the suspects barricaded himself in a nearby building where he was later found dead.

A male officer, who was shot in the face, was initially listed in critical condition but was upgraded to serious condition. A female officer, whose Kevlar vest saved her from a life-threatening gunshot wound to the chest, was treated at a hospital and released.

Downtown shooting


A third officer suffered a hand wound and was treated and released from Harborview Medical Center, police said. A fourth officer was struck by a bottle during the struggle with the robbers and was treated at the scene, police said.

One suspect, a 17-year-old girl, was arrested near the shooting scene around 2:10 p.m., about 45 minutes after the officers were shot near Madison Street and Western Avenue. The two other suspects, including the one found dead, are 19-year-old men, police said.

The shooting created a chaotic scene downtown as police flooded the area and ordered office workers to stay inside and closed off downtown streets, causing gridlock until the start of the evening commute. During the search for suspects, police were unsure how many people had been involved in the robbery and shooting.

Seattle Police held a press conference Thursday night after the shooting earlier in the afternoon. (Erik Lacitis / The Seattle Times)

Initially, police said they were looking for a third suspect, but then later announced only two people were apparently involved.

“Case is rapidly developing and detectives are reviewing new evidence as it’s coming in,” police said in a tweet.

However, around 5 p.m., police reported that officers now believed a third person was involved in the robbery. That individual was taken into custody about an hour later, but police released no details about the arrest.

Likewise, the fate of the barricaded suspect repeatedly changed: At an afternoon news briefing near the shooting scene, Deputy Police Chief Carmen Best said that aside from the wounded officers, no one else had been injured. A short time later, a police spokesman said the male suspect suffered “significant injuries.”

It wasn’t until about 4 p.m. that police announced the suspect was dead and his body remained inside the Federal Office Building, 909 First Ave.

During the search for that suspect, federal employees inside the redbrick and terra-cotta art deco building sheltered in place and could be seen peering out the windows. They were later led out by police.

The wounded officers were taken to Harborview. The female officer who was shot in the chest is 42 years old; the male officer, 30, suffered gunshot wounds to his chin and rib cage, Best said.

She said both were talking at the hospital. Both have been with the…

Read the full article from the Source…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Castwb © 2017