18-year-old arrested in connection with London subway station attack

Police in the UK have made an arrest in the London subway station explosion that injured at least 29 people.

An 18-year-old man was arrested by Kent Police on terrorism charges. The suspect’s name has not yet been released.

“We have made a significant arrest in our investigation this morning,” Deputy Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu said. “Although we are pleased with the progress made, this investigation continues and the threat level remains at critical.”

Police had launched a manhunt after the device went off while the train was stopped at Parsons Green station in southwest London during the Friday morning rush hour.

Less than 24 hours later, the suburban station was back in use by travelers, although with a visible police presence outside. An officer on the scene Saturday told CNN that transport through Parsons Green was “back to normal.”

The train which was attacked Friday could no longer be seen on the track, which is above ground at this point.

Prime Minister Theresa May announced late Friday that the UK terror threat level had been raised from “severe” to “critical,” meaning an attack is expected imminently.

“The public will see more armed police on the transport network and on our streets, providing extra protection. This is a proportionate and sensible step which will provide extra reassurance and protection while the investigation progresses,” May said.

“The threat of terrorism that we face is severe but together, by working together, we will defeat them.”

The Prime Minister said people should carry on with their daily lives, but be vigilant.

Britain’s armed forces have also been called in to support the police as they work to keep the public safe.

“Military personnel have been drafted in to protect national infrastructure sites, allowing additional armed police officers to carry out patrols,” a Met Police statement said, adding that people can expect to see more police, some of them armed, “at crowded places, iconic sites, transport hubs and ports” this weekend.

Mayor Sadiq Khan told Londoners they should “rest assured the full resources of our police and security services are being deployed to track down those responsible. They will be caught and brought to justice.”

ISIS claimed involvement with the explosion saying, via its Amaq news agency, that a “detachment” from the group had carried out the attack. When asked about possible ISIS involvement, Rowley told reporters that it is “routine” for the extremist group to…

Read the full article from the Source…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *