Here are 14 horsemanship tips for new riders.
With years of experience in both the equestrian and fashion industries, I have always taken inspiration from what’s happening now on the runway to the ring. As a rider myself it is always good to get tips from fellow riders. Here is a short list of tips that will do some good when out riding.
1. Always wear a helmet when riding, keep your head protected at all times.
2. Mount your horse correctly it will encourage him/her to stand still.
3. Make sure you do some kind of stretching before riding. It will help you in the long run.
4. Be kind with your horse he/she will appreciate the kindness and learn not to resist you.
5. Always reward your horse positively – he/she will be more open to listening to your commands.
6. Take time to watch others perform, learn from their techniques and mistakes.
7. If you hire a professional trainer, make sure they are accredited and have a good reputation among your equestrian community.
8. Always practice loading your horse before you go on a long trip.
9. Always have a first-aid kit available, you never know when you’ll need it. It’s always better to be safe than sorry.
10. Give your horse a nice brushing daily (or as often as you can) he/she will love it and look good at the same time.
11. Make sure to vaccine your horses, just like you can get sick so can they. We all need to keep ourselves protected.
12. Feed your horses apples and carrots when you can.
13. Always make sure your horses have clean and fresh water.
14. Be positive, like most animals horses feed off your energy. If you have confidence in your horsemanship then your horse will show it.
I hope you take these tips and use them when riding. Your horse is your friend, guide, and partner. Always treat your horse with respect. Know that your horse carries your life in his/her hands.
You should always consult with a professional if you are having issues with your horse. Know that practice makes perfect and that we all…